Careers, Employability & Enterprise
At The Bourne Academy, all students are given the information, guidance and skills they need to make good choices for their future. All careers research indicates that parents/carers are the number one influence in the career plans of their child and from Year 7 onwards students will be offered a variety of opportunities to develop their career aspirations. The Bourne Academy employs a full time professionally qualified careers guidance practitioner and a full time work experience coordinator.
Students will have access to a range of careers support delivered through a variety of ways such as interactive workshops, drama productions, careers fairs, employer talks, guest speakers, business mentoring and trips to colleges and Universities. All students will have a one to one guidance appointment delivered by an impartial qualified careers adviser in Years 11, 12 and 13. Students can request a guidance appointment at any time throughout their academic life and students will be offered support at key transition points such as Year 9 options, Year 11 career planning and into the Academy 6th Form. Parents are able to attend appointments and careers guidance specialists will be at parent evenings to provide any further careers support.
For further information, please contact Vicky Woodings at the Bourne Academy on 01202 528554 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are excited to announce that we will be working towards the Investors in Careers Award, which is the highest accolade that Schools, Academies and 6th Forms can seek to evidence their outstanding careers provision. It will involve showcasing all the careers support we provide from Year 7 to 13 and highlighting the partnerships we have with businesses and universities, to ensure our students make well informed plans and decisions about their futures.
We are delighted to announce that Vicky Woodings has been shortlisted for 'Careers Leader of the Year' for the CDI - Career Development Institute awards 2018.
- www.apprenticeships.org.uk - The essential site for anybody considering an apprenticeship. Register with this site and you will be kept informed of all apprenticeship vacancies.
- nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk - The national careers service. Lots of useful information
- www.careersbox.co.uk - An online careers video/film library information on thousands of careers.
- www.prospects.ac.uk - General careers advice CV writing
- www.tomorrowsengineers.org.uk - Did you know after Tourism, Engineering is the biggest employer in the Bournemouth and Poole area
- www.careers-in-sport.co.uk - for anyone interested in Sport
- www.whatappreenticeship.co.uk - for apprenticeship help and advice.
- https://www.how2become.com/ - The organisation How2Become Ltd have provided us with a number of careers books that are available for students to use for research.
- https://prospects-ac-uk.cdn.prismic.io/prospects-ac-uk%2F7ea0af15-41c4-44cf-a877-9a523e4f5aab_cv-skills-2015.pdf - for a CV sample
Work experience is a compulsory part of our careers provision and takes place in Year 10, 12 and 13. Parents or carers who have any queries, or would like further information about the work experience programme, please do not hesitate to call Mrs Jo Warren on 01202 528554 or email email@example.com
Students will be given a variety of opportunities to develop their entrepreneurial skills throughout their time at the Academy. We work closely with Young Enterprise and deliver their Employability Empowerment Education programme in Year 9. We are also pleased to be able to offer all Year 10 the opportunity to take part in The Ryman National Enterprise Challenge. In addition we run the young enterprise company program in 6th Form.
Students will have various opportunities to meet with local and national business men and women throughout their time at the academy, who will inspire them to achieve their full potential. 6th Form students also benefit from the opportunity to be mentored by a Bourne Ambassador who will give them greater insight into their chosen career field and help prepare them for their next steps.
Q&A session with Interior Designer and Inspiration Award for Women winner, Celia Sawyer