360 Virtual Tours & SEND
360 Videos of The Bourne Academy
The SEND team are:
- Nicola Al-Jassar - Special Education Needs & Disabilities Coordinator
- Hayley Betteridge - Special Education Needs & Disabilities Coordinator & Head of House (Trinity)
- Frances Brown - Teaching Assistant and Emotional Learning Support Assistant
At The Bourne Academy our aim is to promote maximum achievement and attainment for all students with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND). In the recent Ofsted inspection, it was noted:
'the achievement of disabled students and those who have special educational needs is significantly above that of similar students nationally. The school is very effective in ensuring equality of opportunity for learning for all groups of students through its relentless and rigorous checks on progress.'
The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (DFeS 2001) states that:
'children have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them'
All teachers at The Bourne Academy are responsible for students with special educational needs and are accountable for their progress. However, some students will have additional learning support which may include:
- Additional adult support in class
- Enhanced learning through small group work
- One to one support for accelerated learning
- Access to the on site Counsellor
- Support from our ELSA Counsellor
- Additional ICT to support learning
- Support from external specialists e.g. Educational Psychologist
New arrangements for supporting children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities were put into place in September 2014. For further information regarding the reforms, please read the Send Reforms Letter for Parents from the Department for Education.