Bursary & Finance
- The Bourne Academy 16-19 Bursary Policy 2023-24
- The Bourne Academy 16-19 Bursary Application From 2023-24
WHAT IS A BURSARY?
Students who need some financial support to help them stay in education or training after 16 can apply to their school, college or training provider for the new 16-19 Bursary Fund.
Those most in need will be eligible for a bursary of £1,200 a year. This includes students in care, care leavers, students receiving universal credit/income support and disabled students receiving both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment.
Other students facing financial difficulties may also be able to claim a bursary to help with costs of transport, food, equipment or other course-related costs.
The Bourne Academy can provide two types of Bursary assistance.
Vulnerable Student Bursary
You apply for this bursary of £1,200 per year, if you are:
- In care
- Have recently left care
- Are in receipt of Universal Credit/Income Support
- Disabled and in receipt of associated benefits
The Bourne Academy has been allocated a small amount of money to support students. Whether students receive funding or not, is at the discretion of the Academy.
You can apply for this bursary if you:
- Are eligible for Free School Meal
- Your household has an income of less than £25,000 per year
- Have learning difficulties or other disabilities
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- If you believe you are eligible for a Bursary, complete an Application form.
- Return the completed application form to Mr Taafe (Head of 6th Form) or Mrs Turner (Business Director).
- A panel will meet to discuss and make decisions about each application.
- Students will receive notification on whether or not their application has been successful by letter.
- Unsuccessful applicants have the right to appeal the decision in writing. This should be sent to Mr Taafe, Head of 6th Form.
- The Bourne Academy has the right to set the amount of bursary for each student.
- Students can apply for bursary funding (or emergency funds) throughout the academic year.
- Bursary funds with either be paid ‘in kind’ or directly to the student.
- Each bursary will have conditions relating to attendance, punctuality and behaviour attached to them. The Bourne Academy has the right to withhold payment of bursaries if these conditions are not met.
- For further information on bursaries please contact Mrs Turner in the Finance Office on 01202 528554 or email email@example.com
All 6th Form Year 13 should complete their Student finance Application by Easter in order to ensure the funds they need are in place.