Careers & Work Experience
Students will have access to a range of careers support delivered through a variety of ways such as interactive workshops, drama productions, careers fairs, employer talks, guest speakers, business mentoring and trips to colleges and Universities. All students will have a one to one guidance appointment delivered by an impartial qualified careers adviser in Years 11, 12 and 13. Students can request a guidance appointment at any time throughout their academic life and students will be offered support at key transition points such as Year 9 options, Year 11 career planning and into the Academy 6th Form. Parents are able to attend appointments and careers guidance specialists will be at parent evenings to provide any further careers support.
For further information, please contact Vicky Woodings at the Bourne Academy on 01202 528554 or email email@example.com
Vicky Woodings is Registered Professional with the CDI (Careers Development Institute) and as such abides by their code of ethics ensuring that the guidance she gives is impartial.
The Performing Arts Team have put together a presentation about careers in Performing Arts, you can view it HERE.
The Bourne Academy has been recognised for its excellent work in careers and is now one of the top 3 performing UK schools for the Gatsby Good Career Guidance the gold standard of careers guidance measurement.
In 2013, Gatsby was commissioned to research what actions could improve career guidance in English schools and use eight clear benchmarks as a framework for improving careers guidance. These have been well received by schools, government and a wide range of stakeholders. The benchmarks are:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
Please click on the following link further information about the Gatsby benchmarks:
The Bourne Academy is looking for re-accreditation and working towards achieving The Quality in Careers Standard Award, through the Licenced Awarding Body-Investor In Careers.
Below is a list of websites which provide further advice:
- www.ncsyes.co.uk - National Citizen's Service which offers Year 11 leavers a four week programme over the summer holidays which includes two weeks residential (weekends are still at home)
- www.jobulo.com an online CV building website
- www.movingonmagazine.co.uk discover careers and qualifications information
- www.notgoingtouni.co.uk links to live apprenticeship opportunities
- nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk or phone 0800 100 900
Work experience is compulsory in Years 10 and 12 - all of these students are expected to participate. They will be given packs and instructions on how to access the database.
Parents or carers who have any queries, or would like further information about the work experience programme, please do not hesitate to call Mrs Jo Warren on 01202 528554 or email firstname.lastname@example.org